Friday, January 4, 2013

Let me Introduce Myself...


First, let me start my post with a small introduction of who I am! My name is April and I am the daughter of the amazingly talented owner of Seams Sew Right Quilt Studio, Maylee!  I grew up in a house where quilting was just a part of our lives. She would have her work station in the living room where there would be stacks of fabric and pins, LOTS and LOTS of pins. This is what we called her staging area. It was where she would start to piece the quilt together. I won’t tell a lie, but this was for sure not my favorite part of the quilting stage. You know that moment when you are looking to relax after a long day at school and plop down on the couch to watch some much needed television when…

…“OUCH” you get like 5 or 6 pins in your rear!

You all know what I am talking about! If you don’t TRUST ME when I tell you your kids do!! I remember my brother and I would always have to do a “rub” check of all the furniture in the house before we would sit down. But darn it, one or two of those suckers would make it past the rub down and still manage to find our backsides!

Needless to say we were really excited when she would move up to her quilt studio room. This meant that we would eventually find all the pins just in time for her to start a new project and the vicious cycle would continue on. 

One would think that with my mom being the amazing, and dedicated quilter that she is, that maybe this knowledge and interest would pass down to me. Yeah, it didn’t! When I was about 9 or 10 my Grammie got me a quilt kit. It was so cute! It was this little sewing box and inside had already cut squares of fabric, some pins, and a sewing kit. It was super neat! I decided what the heck I will try this thing out. When I was told ALL the steps to this process, I was totally not thrilled with the idea! It was way too much work for me!  I decided if I wanted a quilt bad enough that I would just have my brilliant mom make one for me!!
                 
This brings me to my next part of the story, this time I was about 13, and I was sitting in my mom’s quilt studio room with her as she was making these HUGE denim quilts. I remember sitting there thinking “where did she get all those pants to make these quilts.” I panicked a minute and then reminded myself I do my own laundry so they weren’t mine! What a sigh of relief!  Anyway, on with the story…

I was sitting there looking through a magazine and came across a quilt that was really cool looking.  I showed my mom and asked if she could make it, she looked up at me with like 20 pins in her mouth and squinted to see the picture in the book I was holding up. She smiled (yes the pins still in her mouth) and nodded her head yes….

Side note - Quilters must have a special sort of mouth where you can hold like 100 pins in your mouth and still have a full blown conversation AND be understood!

…..Okay back to the story! She then asked me if I wanted her to make it for me! “Um Yeah!” was my reply! Thinking that this would be so cool that I would have this awesome quilt that my mom made me and would cherish forever! 

About six months later, she calls me into her studio and tells me she picked out the fabric for it. My response was “Fabric for what?” I had totally forgotten that I asked for it! She of course reminds me and I get all excited about it! “Yay my quilt will be her next project!!” was my thought!

Well she started it...then over the months and years and more years, I saw everything come out of that room completed BUT my quilt. I totally just gave up on the idea of it all!

The years went by and I got married and had my first baby girl. I think it was Christmas and we opened up a box my mom got for my daughter and inside of it was a cute baby quilt for her!  Now as a good mom I was very happy for my daughter on the outside, but on the inside I was totally “REALLY! She is like 4 months old and she gets a quilt! Where the heck was mine? The one I have been waiting for, for about 5 years!?” Of course I didn’t say that out loud I simply smiled and told her thank you, like the good daughter that I am!
                 
More years (about 9 more) and it is Christmas again. My wonderful mom calls me up and tells me she sent us a box for Christmas. I didn’t think anything of it, just figured she probably made the girls all quilts because she can get those ones out like they are nothing! (totally kidding….okay not really!)  We opened the box and on top were all sorts of stuff for the kids, gift cards with stuffed animals and in little gift bags. Now mind you this box was HUGE and so heavy so when I first saw the gift cards and stuffed animals I was a little confused. 
 
Then I saw it! MY QUILT!!!!!! I was so excited to see it was completed, I cried!  Of course leave it to one of my daughters to say “Not fair, I want Grandmere to make me a quilt too!”  In a loving tone I laughed “Yeah good luck with that one! I had to wait almost 20 years to get mine!” To which she replies and reminded me “But Serenity has one and got it when she was just a baby” to which Serenity (my oldest) replies, “She just likes me more!”…..yeah you can only imagine where that conversation led! For the sake of our readers we will just say they just danced and hugged each other.

Years went by and my mom was still a dedicated quilter. Starting projects, and finishing maybe 1 out of 10 projects every year! Which I thought was pretty good for her! :)! It was no surprise to us when she said she wanted to open a quilt shop, but it couldn’t be your average shop! It needed to be different and full of all sorts of colors! It needed to appeal to ALL quilters!  Thus Seams Sew Right Quilt Studio was born! And I was pulled into the fun internet world of the store. It has for sure been a learning process for me.
                 
Well one day I was in Seams Sew Right Quilt Studio and I saw those Cuddle Quilt Strip Kits. I thought that they would be so cute to make for my kids. She of course offered to make them and I again laughed “Well mom, I would like them done before they each have kids of their own!” She of course, knowing how right I was, agreed that was about right in the timing!  I decided that I could totally sew some strips together and make this thing. Of course I am not thinking of the WHOLE process here and my mom tells me to look at the online tutorial on how to make these quilts and all the steps. I totally didn’t watch them and told her I did (shhhh don’t tell her that!)  She mailed me the kits and I looked at them and saw how big they were. 

“WOW!” I thought to myself, “Maybe I should totally check out this tutorial!”
               
 So I sat down on my computer and watched them. Okay so like I thought sewing some strips together “I totally got this!” I was super excited! So I told my husband to pull out the sewing Machine and like the good husband he is, he did and sat it up at the table. Then I smiled at him oh so lovingly and said “How about YOU make these because we both know you know how to use this darn machine and I will just watch while you show me what I need to do?” (He is in the Army and sews stuff all the time, he even made a Halloween costume for our youngest daughter one year! So obviously he was my go to guy with sewing!)
               
I think he knew I was going to do that just based on his laugh and head shake. So he sat and watched the tutorials with me again and he was very intense watching it, nodding occasionally as if he were letting the lady on the computer know that he was following. I think I watched him more than I watched the video, thinking “wow he really does have issues doesn’t he?”  (Again! shhhh don’t tell him that!)
                 
Well it was time to go shopping for the backing, binding, thread and all that jazz…..That was an adventure all in its own! That is the start of a whole other story! If you want more tune in again next week! Our story continues then….

To get updates for new blogs please subscribe to ours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment